March 2014 - Lots of people think that Ramon and I are different to them, but the reality is we are no different to you. Lots of people say we were at the right place at the right time - well that could be true to a degree, but 100,000 other people we in Cairns at the same time. It is very possible that in five years time, there will be lots of people that look back and go - wow that was an incredible time to invest, but how many have taken advantage of the situation and invested?
The person I am today, isn't the Secretary walking down St George's Terrace all those years ago. She isn't even the naive property manager that started out 14 years ago. Those days of being worried to confront a tenant - boy are they long gone. Today I have decided to tell you my good points and bad points. Here are some of the things that I either know about myself, or am discovering as time goes by.
• I am a Control Freak - things need to be done in a certain way, and in a timely manner
• I am a Hoarder - if you think that I am lying one day look at my perfume and bling collection
• I am a Perfectionist - not all the time, and not in every respect but I like for it to be done in the best possible way when it is done
• I don't have an off switch - it is not unusual for my mind to be working on the business for most of the waking day.
• I push myself and those around me - ask Ramon he will tell you that I am pushy
• I see things in Black and White - not literally but things normally fall into to one category or the other - there aren't many shades of grey.
• I Love to find a Bargain. If I am going to look like a Barbie Doll, you need to have the Barbie Shoes and clothes.
• I am too soft for my own good - I am learning to be tougher but the soft side seems to win most of the time.
• I am a Control Freak - I like things to be done right, and quickly
• I am a Hoarder - if I wasn't I am not sure we would have as many properties as we do personally, nor would we be on the path to financial freedom
• I am a Perfectionist - if we are going to do a renovation, we want it to be finished as best we can
• I don't have an off switch - if I was like just about every other property manager, our business would be just like theirs.
• I push myself and those around me - for those of you that have been reading this for a while, you have already figured this out.
• I see things in Black and White - I can't explain this one, it is either wrong or right, I like it or I don't - just ask any of our tenants if you need this one clarified.
• I Love to find a Bargain - I am sure when the boys at Amart see me walk in they love it. .
• I am too soft for my own good - it is very easy in this industry to become cynical and only do things that benefit you or to not take a chance..
What I have realised is that all the points that are bad about me and my personality are the exact qualities that have helped us to get to where we are. I have left out one very important part in my Good Points - that is Husband Number Two and Three. Without Ramon, I really don't think that I could have achieved what we have together.
Some time ago I was trying to explain to one of our nieces that with the right partner, two people can achieve so much more together than two people on their own.
Oh well, while we are in the self analysis mode, there is one more thing on the Good Points list that I have to acknowledge. Ramon and I have chosen not to have children. Apart from the fact that I have the least maternal instincts in any one that you will ever met - I really don't think that I would be able to do what I do every day if we had kids in tow.